Sunday, August 24, 2008

Amazon.com lost a customer

Time for a short rant.

The kodak v570 that andrea has is a piece of junk, it cannot handle anything but the most delicate care. It broke within 6 months, and withing two months after I paid to have it fixed because Kodak says I voided the warranty. Needless to say I won't buy Kodak's anymore either. I have decide to replace this camera with a compact Canon.

I bought the camera and an extra battery from amazon.com, and had it sent to my parents' house so that Andrea could pick it up while she was in the US. Well I check on my order today, and it says that it won't be sent until the 27th and would be delivered between the 4th and the 10th. Well Andrea leaves on the first flight on the 5th. So obviously this isn't going to work. As it turns out, buried behind all their offers for free shipping and "get it tomorrow," there is some fine print which reads:
Please note that your order may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to ship out from our fulfillment center(s). Transit time for Super Saver Shipping orders is 5 to 9 business days after shipping.

Now they don't say this you buy something. Not once does it mention that in addition to the additional transit time, they sit on your order for an extra week. As far as I can tell this is for no other reason than to discourage using the free shipping option by making the experience painful for regular amazon.com users (which would be more likely to push them in the Prime service which you pay $80 a year to get free two day shipping). A big company like amazon.com isn't putting in that much effort that they choose to wait to fill my order because there are so many other orders that paid for next day. If they had stated right on the order page, next to the free shipping option, I would have though to myself "Self, we need that camera to get delivered before that," and I would have picked either standard or even 2nd day shipping.

Add to all this that amazon.com doesn't want to interact with their customers at all, that's how they save money, they have no easy way to get in contact with someone to ask about the problem. I did manage to find an email for returns, so I sent my email to them, even though I am not looking for a return at this point. After I sent that, I managed to find the fine details about the free shipping.

The whole thing is ridiculous and, needless to say, I won't be purchasing things from amazon.com anymore. If you are going to tell me up front I can pay extra to get it by tomorrow, why won't you tell me that if I don't pay for shipping it's going to take 3 weeks to get my stuff(15 business days = 3 weeks for mortals wanting their electronics)? I would've gladly paid for it, but by hiding the facts from me, I am just angry now.

I guess that was longer than short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow coincidentally I am no longer buying anything from newegg. Like yourself I was buying a camera (also a canon) and was hoping to have it by this thursday especially since I ordered last thursday and the shipping I used from them was 3-day shipping, the problem is they kept processing it. Turns out the wont ship anything to a residence that is not connected to the credit card. So for people who live at college or visiting someplace and just need something they can't have it from newegg. I realize that these are anti-theft procedures...but really? There has to be plenty of people out there that have multiple locations to mail something to, as gifts or just because they live in a different place than billing address.

I got fed up canceled the order. I did order it from Amazon but I paid for 2day shipping.