Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Man, jet fuel is expensive...

Right now its looking to be about 4k for us to come back in august. That seems like a lot but Andrea really wants to try and make it back so I think we're going to shoot for it. We might be able to get at least a 1k off by actually going to the STA travel agency in japan, they give discounts to JETs. That would help a lot. Even with the higher prices in japan (3900 for both rather than 3700) and the extra costs on the credit card associated with international purchases, it would save us 500+. we'll probably look at it more seriously closer to the end of march when prices will get close to the bottom, and we'll have a better idea what we'll have to spend. On top of plane tickets, we'll have to spend 300ish on trains for both there and back, as well as money for sending out bags to and from the airport (because tokyo station = crappy with more than one bag). Potentially another 1k for a hotel room if we decide/can't get a place to stay while we're there. On top of all that, Andrea is going to want to shop, maybe I will too. That I would expect will set us back another 1k. So I'm expecting 6k to come home and visit. Obviously that should be a little high, but I'd rather plan for more and have extra money leftover, than not enough and haveing 4k sitting on my credit card for 6 months. We'll see what happens, if we decide we can't save the money or we can't make the days work, we won't do it. Its at least something to look forward to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and Andrea! It is Rachel, I just wanted to let you guys know I totally read your blog and look at your pictures. And I always relay to Travis what is going on and we miss you guys:) So don't give up cause we like to keep hearing about all this Japanese stuff and advice and everything, esp. with the impending futureness of your living situation haha. Hope you guys can make it back if it isn't too expensive!